An appeals court on Thursday reversed that decision, 2-1, ruling that Brazilian law was not broken because Rio police had initiated the investigation, not Lochte. "Not only getting it back, but it was deep in the court", said David Witt, Williams' coach, who thought nerves affected his player. Days later, Rio authorities said during a press conference that the U.S. swimmers had vandalized the Shell gas station's restroom, citing surveillance video footage.
"We are pleased that the court has finally dismissed the criminal prosecution against Mr. Lochte, while at the same time, appropriately recognizing that he committed no crime. It has been a long year, but in the end, justice prevailed", said Jeff Ostrow, Lochte's attorney, to USA TODAY Sports. Rio police disputed the account, and said the four swimmers were drunk and rowdy at the gas station, tearing down a poster and wrecking a bathroom, and were detained briefly by two Rio police officers moonlighting as armed private security, who took something like $33 dollars off the men to pay for damages. Her resurgence began in earnest at Wimbledon a year ago, when she made it to the semifinals.
The swimmer has nevertheless been busy during his enforced break, taking part in the TV show Dancing with the Stars and competing at the US Masters Nationals.
At 6-all, Cilic seemed distracted by a delay of a couple of minutes when a spectator who appeared to feel ill was helped from her seat and out of the stands.
Williams began the proceedings with an ace to a corner at 109 mph (176 kph), but Muguruza quickly showed she would neither be overwhelmed by such booming serves nor the occasion. Prosecutors now have 15 days to decide whether they will challenge the ruling.
Under Brazilian law, the penalty for filing a false crime report is a maximum of 18 months in prison.
Lochte, 32, is the father of a one-month-old boy with fiance Kayla Rae Reid.
He was ineligible to compete in the US trials for the upcoming world championships in Budapest, but is entered in three events in the Los Angeles Invitational meeting at the University of Southern California, where he is now training with the Trojan Swim Club.
- Mayer quiere coronar su gran semana con el título de Bastad
- Alexis habló con Wenger para confirmarle su continuidad en el Arsenal
- MÉXICO: ¿Coleccionista de monedas? Banxico lanza nueva pieza de 20 pesos
- Bonucci bids Juve farewell after Milan move
- Octavio Rivero: "El interés de Peñarol es real y han existido contactos"
- Ciclista colombiano Rigoberto Urán gana etapa reina del Tour de Francia
- México cae de último minuto con España en el Star Sixes
- Wimbledon: Roger Federer beats Thomas Berdych, reaches final
- Massa prometió "un futuro de grandeza" — Lanzamiento de campaña
- Defesa de Lula entra com primeiro recurso contra condenação na Lava Jato