The U.S. now sits in first place of the B group after it defeated Nicaragua 3-0 on Saturday.
Bruce Arena, whose team had already booked a last-eight spot, opted to field a completely different starting XI than the one that edged Martinique 3-2.
Even if the US defeats Nicaragua, they would still have to top Panama's goal production to win the group. The Group B runners-up will face Costa Rica, while the winners get a third-placed team, with both games set for Wednesday in Philadelphia.
Just as it seemed like Nicaragua had settled in, the USA took advantage in the 38th minute when a nice buildup between Dax McCarty and Dwyer led to Bedoya breaking through down the right.
The game concludes group play for both teams in the CONCACAF Gold Cup, the biennial championship of the North American, Central American and Caribbean region. In the 56th minute, Zusi forced an errant pass that Bedoya intercepted and played to Dwyer.
Rowe was played through by Bedoya and the New England Revolution man beat Lorente at his near post for his first worldwide goal. Instead of guaranteeing himself Man of the Match honors, Corona saw his attempt from twelve yards meet an identical fate to that of Dwyer.
The biggest difference? The U.S. easily won possession whenever Nicaragua was on the ball. "We were a bit unlucky with the penalties, but we knew if we kept knocking on the door that something would come". The shot was at a good height, came in at a good pace, and was too far inside the post to cause him any trouble. But just like against Panama and Martinique, the USA did enough to get the job done.
The U.S. would finally get the necessary third goal in the 88th minute.
Bedoya's Baby: After taking the Budweiser Man of the Match award for his fantastic overall performance on Saturday, Bedoya said goodbye to his teammates and coaches.
The U.S. players added include Colorado Rapids goalkeeper Tim Howard, Toronto FC midfielder Michael Bradley, Portland Timbers midfielder Darlington Nagbe, Toronto forward Jozy Altidore and Seattle Sounders forward Clint Dempsey.
The United States finished first in their group, with two wins and a draw. It came on a day when coach Bruce Arena made complete set of 11 changes to his lineup, though numerous same problems and strengths persisted in the win.
- INE garantiza decisión objetiva sobre fiscalización de pasadas elecciones
- Muere 'el padre de las cintas de zombis', George A. Romero
- Partidos de Colo Colo y la UC se vuelven a suspender
- Leopoldo López vota desde arresto en su casa en plebiscito en Venezuela
- ¿Belinda se aleja de la música por romper con Criss Angel?
- Jamaica y El Salvador avanzan en la Concacaf
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Path to the World Series goes through Kershaw
- Una familia asesinada — Misterio en Córdoba
- Matías Britos al futbol arabe, el Al-Hilal, su nuevo equipo
- Mario Götze regresa a las canchas después de largo tiempo