Danny Rose's shocking interview was down to Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho and the player's agent getting in his head, according to former Tottenham star Graham Roberts.
AC Milan and LA Galaxy are among the clubs reportedly interested in signing the veteran Swede, but Mourinho is keen to add the striker to his forward options when he is fit again, although there is no rush to confirm a deal.
Jose Mourinho admits Manchester United could still sign one more player, but he will not be "crying" if they do not.
Ahead of the Premier League opener against West Ham at Old Trafford on Sunday, he said: "My initial analysis from January and progressing through other months I was thinking of four players but I am not a difficult person to work with, even if looks different or you want to make it look so".
The 35-year-old confounded the doubters last season, plundering 28 goals before a serious knee injury brought his maiden campaign at Old Trafford to a shuddering halt.
Defeat by Real Madrid in Tuesday's UEFA Super Cup match in Skopje was a setback, but Mourinho says his team are ready for the new season.
The Swedish striker's spell at the club seemingly came to an end following a horrific injury he suffered last season, during the Europa League quarter-finals. I understand by doing 75 percent of what I asked, the club did very well. "If the remaining 25 per cent don't arrive I will not moan, I will just go with everything I have to try to win every match I play". "He wants more at football's highest level, so we are having conversations and we are discussing the possibility of him staying with us for the second part of the season". We are not desperate to have it (a deal) done or not. So I don't think he'll be a huge loss to them. "I'm happy with the effort the club did and I'm happy they managed to do 75 percent of the work before the Premier League starts".
"We have got a central defender who can play in many other positions, such as right-back and central midfield".
"We got a central midfielder, we got a striker".
"It was certainly a position that Manchester United as a team needed to strengthen, and they've gone and done it with Matic".
- Franklin favorecerá tormentas fuertes en el Valle de México
- English Premier League: 5 areas for improvement this season
- Muy cerca el fichaje de Paulinho por el Barcelona
- Liverpool deny reports of Philippe Coutinho transfer request
- "No será un combate defensivo, iré por McGregor" — Mayweather
- Facebook: ¡Irreconocible! Así lucía Luis Fonsi antes de ser famoso [FOTOS]
- Gillette y Nike le dicen bye a Rafa Márquez
- Premier League Predictions: Arsenal kick off new season vs. Leicester
- Ratifica SCJN compromiso para lograr sistema penal eficiente
- De la Cruz se despidió del Liverpool para sumarse a River