Leicester City lost 2-1 at Hull City on the first day last season, but given the unexpected nature of their title win, this was the biggest opening-day shock since Manchester United's 3-1 loss at Aston Villa in 1995.
The Blues got off to a bad start as they were reduced to 10 men in the 14th minute when Gary Cahill was shown a straight red card for a late challenge on Steven Defour.
It is not since March 2014 that Chelsea have had two players sent off in the same game in the Premier League and only the seventh occasion on which it has happened in their Premier League history.
That was an honour that fell to Sam Vokes with his late goal rush and after adding a double at the Bridge he now has seven goals in his last six Premier League games. Failing to make the most of contact in the penalty area, allowing referees the chance to make the easy decision. "It was a pity because our fight in the second half was very good", Conte said.
New signing Alvaro Morata from Real Madrid came on to pull one back midway through the second half and then provided an assist for David Luiz, but in-between midfielder Cesc Fabregas was also sent off for a second yellow card.
There have been times when Burnley have been too honest.
Conte said he did not want to answer questions about Costa, but tellingly conceded: "For me it's in the past". We have huge players with lots of talent. We responded to the sending off well.
"We tried until the end to reach a good result against Burnley".
Liverpool were denied a winning start as Miguel Britos claimed a contentious stoppage-time leveller to earn Watford a 3-3 draw at Vicarage Road.
"The red card was a key moment".
Watford twice went in front through Stefano Okaka and Abdoulaye Doucoure, but Liverpool equalised each time via Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino, who then teed up new boy Mohamed Salah to put the visitors 3-2 up. "He needs to see it", said Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp.
"I repeat: it is important for us to be concentrated on our work, to be focused every day in training and to try to work in our best way".
Chelsea, despite their numerical advantage, worried Burnley for the remainder of the game.
Mounie's goals were the first repayments on his club-record £11.4 million transfer from Montpellier and sent the Yorkshire club to the top of the fledgling standings.
- Conte new favourite to go first
- Ducati dominó el viernes en Austria
- Trump mantiene la opción militar contra Corea del Norte
- Brushing off Putin, Trump says fewer diplomats saves money
- La tierna foto que subió Cristina de su espera por las elecciones
- Qué documentos son válidos para votar este domingo en las Paso
- "Hubiéramos querido que pudiera votar Santiago Maldonado" — Randazzo
- LeBron James Takes Shot at Donald Trump Amid Charlottesville Protests
- Australia apoyará a EE.UU. frente a Corea del Norte
- Brancatelli le respondió a María Eugenia Vidal por Twitter después del cruce