How has Leake pitched in his eight seasons?
The Cardinals get minor league shortstop Rayder Ascanio in exchange for Leake and global cap space totaling $750,000 for the current worldwide signing period.
"Mike gives us an experienced starter that will help us as we navigate our way towards a playoff spot this season", Mariners general manager Jerry Dipoto said in a statement.
Because he was acquired before September 1, Leake would be eligible to pitch in the postseason if the Mariners were to somehow make it.
The Mariners and Cardinals are both now on the periphery of their leagues' Wild Card races. The club will attempt to avoid a road sweep at Baltimore in Wednesday's series finale versus the Orioles.
In the deal, the Cardinals also sent $750,000 in worldwide cap space for the current global signing period to the Mariners. He has a mutual option for the 2022 season that includes a $5 million buyout if the team doesn't pick it up.
After a great start to the season, Leake has struggled mightily. Our models project him to post a 4.19 ERA and 1.32 WHIP over 36.5 innings remaining this season. After debuting in 2010, Leake has made 228 starts - the second most in the National League.
St. Louis will send Seattle $17.5 million to cover a portion of the $55.6 million Leake is guaranteed during the remainder of an $80 million, five-year contract through 2020.
Ascanio, 21, is a switch-hitter who was signed by Seattle as an worldwide free agent from Venezuela at age 16 in 2012.
Ascanio, 21, hit.217 (85 for 392) with 25 doubles, a triple, nine home runs and 44 RBI in 111 games combined between Low A Clinton and High A Modesto.
- Venezuela llega con dos bajas y una cara nueva
- Presidente peruano se compromete a hacer realidad puerto boliviano en Ilo
- Taylor Swift y un nuevo corte de difusión
- Want a night out with Conor McGregor? He's hosting an 'intimate evening'
- Fallece Ultiminio Ramos a los 75 años en la CDMX
- Zidane confiesa no estar orgulloso del cabezazo contra Materazzi
- Revelan presuntos desvíos multimillonarios vía universidades públicas
- La región bajo alerta ante la probable llegada de lluvias intensas
- Rige alerta meteorológico en Miramar y zona
- Hay alerta por lluvias intensas para Entre Ríos