Last Saturday's draw in the Bernabéu was the side's second consecutive stalemate at home in LaLiga and the Real boss expressed his desire to see Ronaldo out on the pitch again for the first time since his red card and subsequent five-game suspension for shoving the referee in the Spanish Super Cup against Barcelona. But when you capture a league and European double, there may not have been much improving needed in the Spanish capital.
Rumours of Gareth Bale's departure ended up as false, but several noteworthy players did leave this summer.
The major addition was on the back-line, and a reported €30 million fee for Theo Hernandez. I would have liked him to stay, but you have to understand that he wanted to play more and wanted to leave. The 19-year-old joins from city rival Atletico Madrid, and will certainly benefit from working with Marcelo over the next few seasons.
When speaking to COPE, the Madrid man denied any links towards a move away after his performances reportedly attracted the interest of big-spenders Paris Saint-Germain towards the end of the transfer window.
The Catalans have worked towards making the adjustments necessary moving forward, with mixed results of both success and failure.
Barcelona's pursuit of Liverpool star Philippe Coutinho ended up as the failure, as what seemed like a finished deal ultimately fell through.
He added: "We thought it was strange that Neymar left Barcelona".
"We're happy to have Cristiano back".
The group stage of the UEFA Champions League gets underway this week, as depth in the squad will be tested for both sides.
- Man City can win the Champions League, says Giovanni van Bronckhorst
- Samsung plans to release foldable Galaxy Note next year
- Cayó alias 'El Quesero', el mayor testaferro de las Farc
- Manchester United regresó con goleada a la Champions
- El aeropuerto de Miami no sabe cuándo reabrirá después del huracán Irma
- Francia: represión e incidentes en una marcha contra la reforma laboral
- Oposición y gobierno venezolano reanuda el diálogo
- Águilas altruistas; América donará taquilla del Clásico Nacional a víctimas de sismo
- ONU amplía sanciones contra Corea del Norte
- Maduro dice aceptar diálogo con oposición