The forward has apparently already sold his London home and is in the process of moving his family back to Madrid, where he is expected to play come January.
That lead to some stray rumors of yet another third party potentially getting involved - the Mail brought up Al-Hilal in the Saudi league as a possibility - but AS seem pretty confident that Costa will simply stay put in Madrid until the winter transfer window while the two teams go to battle over his fee, his fines, and his future.
The striker was transfer listed this summer and today he would not play for the Blues again.
The Spain international has wanted a return to Atletico all summer, but the La Liga club were not willing to meet Chelsea's £50million valuation.
Atletico failed to make the most of their chances in Rome with Roma goalkeeper Alisson making 10 saves on the night to deny them the win.
Alvaro Morata has been told by Gianfranco Zola that he will need to add greater consistency to his game if he is to be a success at Chelsea.
Chelsea were reluctant to be held to ransom by Atletico and had tried to offload Costa elsewhere, though his lack of fitness was a barrier - hence why they pleaded with him to return to training in Cobham.
- Barcelona out for revenge against Juventus — UCL Preview
- Maduro dice aceptar diálogo con oposición
- El huracán Irma lleva su furia al noroeste de Florida — En vivo
- Derrota de Argentina ante Eslovenia en el debut
- Oposición niega reunión con gobierno venezolano en República Dominicana
- Manchester United regresó con goleada a la Champions
- Microsoft fixing Windows 10 'stuttering' bugs in Creators Update
- San Lorenzo y Lanús se miden en la Libertadores
- Opening day slated for March 29 & MLB's earliest start
- Asensio: Zidane said my left foot was best since Messi