It will also mark the first time since 1968 when all teams begin on the same day.
March 29 also will represent the earliest start to a Major League season, excluding special international events.
"As for the Astros games, it was to offer our support to Major League Baseball that we submitted this request", the source said. It also marks only the 12th time in league history - and first since 2011 - that the season will begin on a Thursday. All 30 clubs are scheduled to play on March 29.
The final day of the 2018 regular season, featuring 12 divisional games, is scheduled for Sunday, September 30. That would seem to ensure a World Series scheduled to end in October, if it starts again on a Tuesday. In recent years we've seen a Sunday night opener for ESPN and, before that, we'd see a lot of split openers, with roughly half of the teams beginning on one day, half the next. The rest of baseball gets Thursday off, as they have in recent years.
The differences in schedule are attributable to the new Collective Bargaining Agreement that runs through 2021. (This year was the last one allowed, and the Indians and Tigers representatives got to Miami past 5 a.m.) As a result of that switch, MLB has moved that lone game to Thursday in a national broadcast window.
A person with knowledge of the offer told The Canadian Press late Thursday the City of Montreal offered to host the upcoming three-game series between the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays.
There are a handful of divisional matchups on Opening Day, including a potentially feisty Giants-Dodgers game in Los Angeles.
Interleague Play throughout the season will feature teams from one league against clubs in the same division of the other league. Francisco Lindor of Cleveland and Eddie Rosario of Minnesota will be among big names returning to their homeland for that series.
Less than 15,000 people total attended the three games. Game times for the 2018 schedule, as well as the 2018 Spring Training schedule, will be announced at a later date.
- Propone México a Ruiz para Consejo de Derechos Humanos de la ONU
- Águilas altruistas; América donará taquilla del Clásico Nacional a víctimas de sismo
- Samsung plans to release foldable Galaxy Note next year
- Asensio: Zidane said my left foot was best since Messi
- Oposición niega reunión con gobierno venezolano en República Dominicana
- Oposición y gobierno venezolano reanuda el diálogo
- Irma azota cayos de Florida a su llegada a Estados Unidos
- Derrota de Argentina ante Eslovenia en el debut
- Francia: represión e incidentes en una marcha contra la reforma laboral
- Royals lead White Sox 4-1 after 3 innings