Vettel, who lost the lead to Hamilton at the previous race in Italy, is a four times winner in Singapore and the pole was also his fourth in the city state as well as the 49th of his Formula One career.
"It's not going to be the easiest of weekends, but man I'm coming with positivity and with the plan of winning this race", said the Briton, who has won in Singapore twice.
Williams driver Felipe Massa slid heavily into the barriers, puncturing a rear tyre, and he was one of the five to drop out in Q1 as Red Bull's Verstappen and Ricciardo led the timings. "We have worked as hard we can to understand the car and we come here with full attack". "I think we can still improve it, but still with the package we have it is pretty good".
Bottas, 28, is currently in the third spot of the men's championship after getting two wins from a total of 13 races this year.
Daniel Ricciardo posted a record-breaking lap in Singapore to lay down an early marker in opening practice for Sunday's race.
Formula One is Bringing the heat!
"We improved it from the morning".
"I got everything I could out of the car - I got everything and more, I literally threw the sink at it. I squeezed every bit out of it and was just hoping".
The session was red-flagged after Marcus Ericsson had a low-speed spin, sending his Sauber into the wall backwards just after he had driven under the grandstand towards the end of the lap. "At some point you have to start taking risks but to do that straight away doesn't make sense", he added.
The 32-year-old Englishman has won in Singapore on two occasions but has struggled in recent years, failing to get to the finish in 2015 before he ended a distant third to rival Nico Rosberg in last season's race. Quietly stalking the leaders and, when given the opportunity, climbing to the top of the podium.
"We've seen that it's very close no matter where we go (even on) tracks that (should) definitely suit Mercedes or (should) definitely suit Ferrari".
Vettel was second fastest in the first session but was only 11th in the night time practice.
Renault's Nico Hulkenberg was fifth on the day while it was a positive session for McLaren's Stoffel Vandoorne and Fernando Alonso, who were sixth and seventh. "I'm not used to a different situation".
- Semifinales al rojo en Copa Davis
- Estrella y Hernández Se imponen en Copa Davis
- Otra vez suplente: Bravo vio goleada de Manchester City desde la banca
- UN seeks 'massive' help for Rohingya fleeing Myanmar 'ethnic cleansing'
- Lee se llama la tormenta tropical número 14
- Declararon cuatro gendarmes que participaron del operativo
- Dan detalles del Desfile Militar del Día de la Independencia 2017
- Dembélé se lesiona en Getafe
- Presidente Maduro agradece a presidente de República Dominicana por mediación en diálogo
- Destacan en jornada de diálogo: Hoy el mundo es Venezuela