A mesmeric Lionel Messi scored twice and inspired Barcelona to a 3-0 win over Juventus as the Catalans got off to a flying start in Champions League Group D, avenging last season's quarter-final elimination by the Italian champions.
The Juventus star was questioned on the subject today, ahead of his meeting with Messi in the Champions League this evening, and while he was keen to assure that it is a pleasure to play alongside his fellow Argentine, he also admitted that it has a definite effect on his style of play.
It was Messi's sixth goal in his last three games off the back of his hat-trick at the weekend, but the first time that he had ever managed to score past Buffon in his illustrious career.
Alcacer is facing a battle to make it into Julen Lopetegui's Spain squad for the 2018 World Cup in Russia next summer, unless he finds more game time at the Nou Camp.
Barcelona and Lionel Messi dealt swift justice to the team that knocked them out of last year's competition. We are getting a good price for the under 2.5 goals bet and as a result, I am also going to suggest that as an option for this game. Valverde opined: "Everyone is in charge of their own life and their own future". However, we're now in a new era as Ernesto Valverde has the team playing in a more robust & efficient way than last season.
The breakthrough finally came in the 45th minute, when Messi exchanged passes with Suarez at the top of the box before placing the ball past Gianluigi Buffon into the bottom right corner. He is one of the best players in the history of the game. Check the complete schedule of this week Champions League matches here.
Dembele, who debuted as a substitute in a 5-0 rout of Espanyol on Saturday, showed some of the speed that Barcelona wanted when it signed him, but otherwise had a subdued match. Five minutes later, evidently seething from a booking for trying to convince the referee to book Pjanic, Messi darted behind the Juve defence and hit a cross which was half-cleared and fell to Rakitic who drilled home number two. It is the little tough for the Barcelona to face Juventus.
- Destacan en jornada de diálogo: Hoy el mundo es Venezuela
- Zidane resta importancia a la baja de Ronaldo
- Lee se llama la tormenta tropical número 14
- Dembélé se lesiona en Getafe
- Declararon cuatro gendarmes que participaron del operativo
- Otra vez suplente: Bravo vio goleada de Manchester City desde la banca
- Arsenal hero: Lacazette not in same class as Chelsea striker Morata
- 8 New Features You'll Love & 3 You'll Hate — IPhone X
- Dan detalles del Desfile Militar del Día de la Independencia 2017
- UN seeks 'massive' help for Rohingya fleeing Myanmar 'ethnic cleansing'