Mohamud spoke in Dhaka after a visit to Cox's Bazar, a port city and arrival site for the refugees in Bangladesh, on Thursday.
Swaraj, he said, told the Bangladesh premier that the crisis by now appeared as an international issue while India was trying to put "pressure bilaterally and multilaterally on Myanmar to stop persecution on ethnic minority Rohingya Muslims" and take back the refugees who fled to Bangladesh.
Instead, the State Department has called for a de-escalation of tensions between security forces and Rohingya militias and urged Myanmar's government to expand access to humanitarian aid groups and journalists.
The 1.1-million strong Rohingya have suffered years of discrimination in Myanmar, where they are denied citizenship even though many have longstanding roots in the country. The U.N. director added that the international community is "not yet doing enough" to ease the crisis.
State Department officials, speaking on background, say the situation there is so strained, with the military acting in some ways autonomously from the central government, that there are serious worries that strong criticism of the leadership would be seen as undermining the fragile democracy, could contribute to unrest in the form of mass rioting- and could end up with the military taking over.
Thousands of people marched to Parliament yesterday in solidarity with Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh who have fled Myanmar.
A local administration member who gave his name as Minuddin told Anadolu Agency that local residents informed the police about two bodies floating in the Naf River. The refugees are fleeing the country with after fresh security operation looting and burning villages and killing men, women and children.
Bangladesh has been overwhelmed by Rohingya Muslims since violence erupted in Buddhist-dominated Myanmar's Rakhine state on August 25.
The consignment was loaded onto a cargo plane by Iran's Red Crescent Society and headed to Bangladesh on Friday morning, Iranian media reported.
- Reos y cocodrilos en las calles, peligros que dejó Irma
- Comité político del PLD discute posición sobre ley de partidos
- El "spot de horror" sobre la eutanasia que nadie termina de ver
- Continúa invicto Cruz Azul tras vencer a Santos
- AI culpa al Estado de la violencia contra las mujeres en México
- Se forma tormenta tropical María: Atentas las islas del Caribe oriental
- Bolivia busca acompañar el diálogo en Venezuela
- Independiente ante Lanús, con la cabeza en las copas
- Ready for talks with Fatah, to hold elections in Gaza — Hamas
- Así es como WhatsApp te permitirá liberar la memoria de tu teléfono