After a 20-year professional career, Carlos Beltran has decided to go out on top, stepping away from the game of baseball. It's easy to forget now when he's 40 years old and a guy who should always be the DH when he plays, but he was once one of the best defensive center fielders in the game, and his efficiency on the basepaths was a highlight for years: He stole 312 bases in his career and was caught just 49 times, good for an 86 percent success rate. "I told [my wife] Jessica I really missed the family and I wanted to be with them, so I was really contemplating retirement after this year".
Finishing his career with a second, one-year, stint in Houston, Beltran captured his first World Series title.
This story will be updated soon with more details.
Beltran got his storybook ending with the Astros' Game 7 victory over the Dodgers, giving him that long-awaited championship that had eluded him for the better part of two decades.
Beltran retires with a.279/.350/.486 slash line, 2,725 hits, 435 home runs, 1,587 RBIs and 1,582 runs scored. He is a nine-time All-Star and played for the Royals, Mets, Yankees, Cardinals, Astros, Rangers and Giants.
But Beltran isn't ready to leave baseball.
Enjoy retirement, Carlos. We can't wait to see what you'll do next.
Beltran's name is frequently thrown around in Hall of Fame conversations, but he hasn't spent much time considering that possibility.
Beltran, 40, is a native of Puerto Rico, and broke through to the majors with the Kansas City Royals in 1998, winning Rookie of the Year honors in 1999.
Mark Feinsand, an executive reporter, originally joined MLB.com as a reporter in 2001.
- Soldados norcoreanos hieren a un desertor en la frontera con el Sur
- Conocé los beneficios que anunció Vidal para Mar del Plata
- Testigos contaron que fue lo que pasó en los Martin Fierro
- Irving sufre fractura en hueso de la cara
- Trump nomina a exjefe de farmacéutica como ministro de Salud
- Congreso aprueba aumento salarial a funcionarios públicos
- Estadio de Sultanes será remodelado para Dodgers vs Padres
- Panamá espera abrir nuevo panorama bilateral con visita de Varela a China
- La PGR detiene a ''El Tortillero'' en Querétaro
- Cotelco celebra levantamiento del paro de pilotos en Avianca