South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff says in a statement the North Korean soldier was being taken to a hospital after crossing the border village of Panmunjom on Monday.
"President Moon called for efforts to allow the people enjoy more opportunities and better lives by jointly establishing the foundation of their sustainable growth, noting that the people must be able to feel and enjoy the benefits of the countries' exchange and cooperation to ensure sustainable growth", Cheong Wa Dae said in a press release.
North Korean law enforcement bodies and Border Security Command have reportedly been called up for emergency duty as US President Donald Trump visits South Korea this week.
Speaking on Fox News, Mr Bolton added his "preferred outcome" to the growing US-North Korea crisis would be to "reunite the two Koreas" but conceded talks with the hermit state would be a "complete non-starter".
The defection came at a time of heightened tension over North Korea's nuclear weapons programme, and could escalate animosities between the rival countries.
According to the source, soldiers near the border, Border Security Forces, civil defense forces, security forces, and police have all been ordered to mobilize for emergency duty in line with the instructions.
About 30,000 North Koreans have defected to South Korea since the end of the 1950-53 Korean War, but most travel through China.
Moon also asked for ASEAN countries' continued support for efforts to rid North Korea of its nuclear ambition.
The JCS said that it is in the process of verifying the identity of the soldier and investigating him. He's just the seventh soldier to defect since 2012, though the third this year. In 1998, a North Korean solider fled to South Korea via Panmunjom. "They also expressed their full support for our government's efforts to improve the South-North relations and establish lasting peace on the Korean Peninsula".
Interested in North Korea?The attack prompted Washington to fly nuclear-capable B-52 bombers toward the DMZ in an attempt to intimidate North Korea.
There was no immediate comment on the incident from North Korea.
- Testigos contaron que fue lo que pasó en los Martin Fierro
- Soldados norcoreanos hieren a un desertor en la frontera con el Sur
- Comenzaron notificaciones de bono navideño para el Carnet de la Patria
- La oposición venezolana declara "en suspenso" la negociación con el gobierno
- Trump nomina a exjefe de farmacéutica como ministro de Salud
- Claman justicia en marcha tras asesinato de profesora en Puebla
- What is necessary for the victory in the online casino?
- Estadio de Sultanes será remodelado para Dodgers vs Padres
- Benzema: "Cristiano Ronaldo es más egoísta que yo"
- Susana Giménez confensó que fue víctima de Giselle Rímolo