Alex Azar II has been nominated to serve as the next secretary of the U.S. Health and Human Services Department (HHS).
The new HHS secretary will be tasked with implementing Trump administration efforts to unwind Obamacare, a top campaign promise of his, and overseeing the drug industry, which Trump has said is "getting away with murder" by charging high prices for prescription medications. ADVI traditionally has been at the forefront of seminal payment and delivery reform issues currently before the CMS as well as local and national public and private payer coverage, quality, and reimbursement issues and in healthcare merger and acquisition deal flow.
As secretary, Azar may be called upon to alter certain parts of Obamacare.
The Washington Post reported that the Yale Law school grad clerked for the late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, a Trump favorite, while also working for former special counsel Kenneth Starr during the Whitewater investigation of Bill and Hillary Clinton.
Trump has gone after drug companies in the past, as he did in October, on this very issue.
"I don't think there is going to be a lot of appetite for doing that either in the Trump administration or up in Congress", he said.
It also oversees health insurance programmes, including Medicare and Medicaid, and the Affordable Care Act, commonly known as Obamacare.
If approved, Azar will be deeply involved in regulating the industry he has worked for over the last decade.
According to private contacts LifeNews.com has had with leading pro-life advocates, Azar is reportedly someone the pro-life movement would appreciate.
President Donald Trump on Monday nominated former pharmaceutical executive Alex Azar to lead the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, a vacancy left by ousted chief Tom Price. Azar was on one of my panels about 16 months ago and ably provided the audience a sharp and concise representation of the kind of opportunities and pitfalls a Big Pharma like Lilly has to navigate every day.
- Hoy declara Lagomarsino en Comodoro Py — Caso Nisman
- Hariri Appears in First TV Interview Since Resignation
- Shakira suspendió gira mundial por hemorragia en las cuerdas vocales
- Socceroos Draw The First Leg Of The World Cup Qualifier
- Científicos lanzan advertencia a la humanidad
- Edgardo Bauza no va más como técnico de Arabia Saudita
- Burlan seguridad del ID facial de iPhone X
- Este jueves será feriado si es que Perú clasifica al Mundial
- Sergio Bueno, nuevo técnico del Atlante
- The Weeknd olvida a Selena Gomez...¡Con una ex de Justin Bieber!