Tremors were felt hundreds of miles away in both capitals, in Tehran and Baghdad. A powerful magnitude-7.3 earthquake has rocked the northern border region between Iran and Iraq, killing more than 400 people and injuring thousands more.
Earlier media reports mentioned 445 victims of the earthquake.
The earthquake affected a total of 1,650 towns and settlements in seven Iranian provinces.
The Iranian Army, the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), the voluntary Basij forces, the Red Crescent and the Islamic Revolution Housing Foundation as well as the ministries of energy, interior affairs, health, and roads and urban development are all providing assistance to the people in need, Rouhani said. According to the agency, 7,500 people suffered injuries. As many as 12,000 homes were destroyed with about the same number suffering significant damage.
Messages of the condolences and help offers continue to pour in from around the world.
- El emotivo vídeo de Angelique Boyer para despedirse de Maru Dueñas
- Julián Gil le da duro golpe a Marjorie de Sousa
- Peña Nieto critica que se haga 'bullying' a instituciones del Estado
- MINSA inmuniza a miles de nicaragüenses contra influenza
- Reports: Barcelona 'agree deal' for Manchester United target Antoine Griezmann
- El carguero estadounidense Cygnus arriba a la EEI
- Se estrelló un avión en Los Toldos: Murieron dos personas
- Cómo seguirá el tiempo este martes
- Telcel sigue subsidiando interconexión de telefónicas
- Liberaron a líder de secta en El Paso