Arab media reported that Israeli warplanes struck the Jamarya military installation and research center on the outskirts of Damascus overnight; this, just days after the destruction of an Iranian weapons facility near the Syrian capital was attributed to Israel. According to Syrian and Russian news agencies, Israeli missiles were fired at the base at around 11:30 PM. "The air defense forces were confronted by an Israeli missile attack", Syria's official SANA news agency reported.
"The explosions were accompanied by flashes. believed to be caused regime's air defence launching its missiles to intercept the [Israeli] missiles and prevent them from hitting their targets", the Observatory added.
In a similar strike that took place on Saturday, Syrian state television reported that Syria's "air defence system thwarted the attack" by shooting down two of the Israeli missiles. "The target was a military base in the Damascus suburbs". "We will not allow that regime to entrench itself militarily in Syria, as it seeks to do, for the express purpose of eradicating our state".
Israel in the past has targeted positions of Lebanon's powerful Hezbollah group inside Syria where the Iran-backed group is heavily involved in fighting alongside the Syrian army. Meanwhile, satellite images released by ImageSat International earlier Monday apparently evidence the damage caused to the Iranian base located al-Qiswah, some 50 kilometers north of the Israeli border.
- Reports: Cardinals Sign Miles Mikolas From Japan's Yomiuri Giants
- El encuentro entre Jimena Barón y Maluma
- El tiempo: la semana arranca con inestabilidad
- Explotó una bomba en una sede del Correo Argentino
- Bitrent: ICO PRE-SALE 40% bonus
- Wildfire forces thousands to flee homes north of Los Angeles
- What is necessary for the victory in the online casino?
- Turkey's position on Jerusalem unchanged
- Champions League: última fecha de la fase de grupos
- Palestinian envoy says US recognition of Jerusalem is "declaring war"