The LCD model with the metal back is tipped to feature a 6.1-inch screen.
This handset is claimed to be the mid-size model of the pack, with Apple other 2018 iPhones coming in at 6.2 or 6.3 inches, and 5.8 inches. But Apple will be able to lower the cost of the iPhone, making sure consumers are not left completely out of an option to upgrade to the latest iPhones next year.
"The 6.1-inch LCD model will likely sport a metal back [like older iPhone handsets] that will come in several colors", said the source, adding that the two OLED handsets will come in two sizes: one either 6.2 or 6.3 inches long, and the other 5.8 inches. Nikkei says Apple is reluctant to switch entirely to OLED in 2018 due to the fear of becoming over-reliant on Samsung. Now with the all glass iPhone 8, Apple can only offer Space Grey, Silver and Gold, meanwhile the iPhone X is limited to Space Grey and Silver.
It appears that Apple might be looking for a new OLED panel supplier for the iPhone X. In November, LG Display announced that it will be investing 15 trillion won ($13.7 billion) in OLED panel production for TVs and mobile devices in the next three years, with two-thirds of the money set aside for smartphone OLED displays. The source said that there was a good chance that Casetek would win orders for the LCD model, as the design may be akin to iPads, which the Pegatron subsidiary is already supplying casing for.
One point not referenced by Nikkei, and brought up by Kuo in a previous investor note, is that the aforementioned 6.1-inch LCD iPhone model will feature an edgeless display.
We've heard rumors that Apple's 2018 iPhone lineup will primarily consist of handsets featuring an edge-to-edge iPhone X design, but not all might feature that handset's glass back or OLED display. The Cupertino company has confirmed none of this, but both Nikkei Asian Review and Ming-Chi Kuo have a proven track record when it comes to leaking details about unannounced Apple products.
- El Parlamento australiano aprueba proyecto de ley sobre bodas homosexuales
- Global protests after Trump recognises Jerusalem as Israel's capital
- El Porto goleó al Mónaco y se metió en octavos de final
- Enap informó que todos los combustibles suben de precio este jueves
- El Papa pide que se respete el statu quo de Jerusalén
- Renato Tapia espera cerrar con un triunfo su participación en la Champions
- Real Madrid 3 Borussia Dortmund 2: More Champions League history for Ronaldo
- AMLO ya no es contendiente serio para el PRI, afirma EOR
- Policía de Honduras en huelga: no queremos matar a nuestro pueblo
- Procesan a Abbona, Larroque y Parrilli — Causa AMIA