After competing in Abu Dhabi I realised that although I am super close, I'm not where I personally want to be.
But the news is more positive for the former world number one after it was revealed he is set to feature at the Kooyong Classic next week and the Tie Break Tens evening exhibition at Melbourne Park.
The 36-year-old American featured in an exhibition match in Abu Dhabi and lost to Jelena Ostapenko, and she was non-committal on her Australian Open plans following the outing, while she turned down the offer for a wildcard to the Sydney International.
"After the two events, a decision will be made about his participation at the first Grand Slam of the season, the Australian Open, where Novak has been crowned champion six times".
"My coach and team always said 'only go to tournaments when you are prepared to go all the way'".
Tournament director Craig Tiley called Williams' efforts to try and be ready for a title defence at the Australian Open "Herculean" and said she transcended the sport.
Serena will sit one out but is promising to return in the future.
"It was never going to be good enough for her to just compete, she wants to give herself the best chance to win".
"I've been in constant contact with Serena and her team and know this is why she has pushed it and pushed it until the 11th hour to make her final decision", Tiley said.
Djokovic has not played competitively since withdrawing from the quarter-finals of Wimbledon in July.
- Necesaria, inversión creciente y mayor en ciencia y tecnología: Peña Nieto
- 2018 cobra su primera víctima: termina La Mano Peluda
- Polémico: bancos podrán embargar cuentas sueldo para cobrar préstamos
- Advierten presiones en Morena para elegir candidato por la capital
- How to Keep your device secure from Spectre and Meltdown bugs
- Leonardo DiCaprio protagonizará película sobre Charles Manson de Quentin Tarantino
- Ricky Martin se casa con su pareja Jwan Josef
- Un abogado de Trump pagó para silenciar a una actriz porno (prensa)
- La "pileta" de Rodríguez Larreta provocó risas en las redes sociales
- Matías Britos y Joel Sánchez reforzarán a Querétaro en el Clausura 2018