France already has some culinary recognition by Unesco, with "the gastronomic meal of the French" having received World Heritage status in 2010, and defined as "a customary social practice designed to celebrate the most important moments in life".
Calls for the famous breadstick to be awarded the treasured status come after an Italian pizza making style from Naples was awarded protected status last year.
French President Emmanuel Macron said he wants the traditional baguette - that delicious doughy delicacy - to be protected as a world treasure by UNESCO.
After hosting a group of master bakers at the Elysée Palace in Paris, Macron told French radio that "excellence and expertise must be preserved, and that is why it should be heritage-listed".
Artisan bread makers in France have often raised concerns about the rise of mass-produced imitations of their 'national treasure' tarnishing their traditions.
However the UK is one of few countries that has not signed up the system to protect it's heritage and has no entries on the list.
Dominique Anract, president of the National Condederation of French Patisseries and Bakeries, told food website Atabula: "When I see the quality of bread in supermarkets, it is impossible not to get angry".
To be a true French baguette, the dough must be made from only four ingredients - wheat flour, water, yeast and salt - and must not be frozen or contain any added preservatives.
President Macron once said that he never published the three books he wrote as a young man because he was unsatisfied with them.
Instead, this list focuses on traditions - mostly crafts, music, dance and cuisine. That submission was centred mostly around the rituals that accompany the cuisine: how wines are paired with dishes, how the table is dressed, and the precise placing of glasses and cutlery.
France's national baker's association has submitted an application to the Committee for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage.
The list, which is reviewed annually includes items "that testify to the diversity of the intangible heritage and raise awareness of its importance".
- El Banco Mundial alteró su informe de competitividad
- Los Spurs ganaron con una genial volcada de Manu Ginóbili — NBA
- El Arsenal quiere que Alexis "se quede durante mucho tiempo"
- Ernesto Valverde opinó sobre bailes de Yerry Mina — Barcelona
- Argentina: la escalofriante confesión de joven que asesinó a su exnovio
- Fútbol de Verano: Gimnasia se impuso en los penales
- El emotivo mensaje de despedida de Yerry Mina a Palmeiras
- Trump se defiende de acusaciones de racismo
- Tehran says will retaliate against Washington sanctions on chief judge
- Canciller chileno destaca esfuerzos por "un acuerdo concreto" en Venezuela