They will be there when Bonds becomes the 12th Giant to have his uniform retired, but the first who has not been elected to the Hall, which had been a prerequisite.
During the 15 years he played for the Giants, Bonds slashed.312/.477/.666 with 586 home runs, five MVP awards, five Gold Glove awards, nine Silver Slugger awards and 12 All Star Game appearances.
Giants President Larry Baer noted in the club's statement Tuesday that no Giant has worn 25 since Bonds' final year, 2007. With 56.4 percent of the vote in 2018 and four years left on the ballot to reach the threshold for enshrinement - 75 percent - the likelihood of the Veterans Committee eventually electing Bonds grows every year. Barry grew up with the Giants and followed in the footsteps of his Godfather Willie Mays and another Giant legend who also wore number 25 - his late father, Bobby.
The announcement came shortly after, including a list of all the players who have worn 25 as a Giant, saying "this list is now complete". "As I've always said, the Giants and Giants fans are a part of my family". Growing up, Candlestick Park was my home away from home, and it is where my dad and godfather Willie played.
In their 60th anniversary season, the San Francisco Giants will make a special day for No. 25. "No. 25 has meant a lot to me throughout my career and it is even more special that I got to share that with my dad". However, he's long been beloved in San Francisco, and it's no surprise that the Giants would eventually take this step, however belatedly.
"I'm both honored and humbled that the Giants are going to retire my number this season", Bonds said in the team's press release.
Bonds said he was honored in a statement. He holds the franchise record for home runs, batting average, runs, doubles, RBIs and walks. It'll happen Aug. 11 at AT&T Park when the Giants host Bonds' previous team, the Pittsburgh Pirates. Bonds' candidacy has been blemished by his ties to the BALCO doping scandal. While many players have been denied entry, the league's commissioner that oversaw the league during that time is in the Hall of Fame. Members of the New York Giants were Bill Terry (3), Mel Ott (4), Carl Hubbell (11) and Monte Irvin (20).
- Día crucial para formación de Gobierno de coalición — Alemania
- Bogotá está entre las diez ciudades con más trancones en el mundo
- Se dispara 23% la confianza del consumidor en enero: INEGI
- Luisa Fernanda W encanta con sus movimientos al ritmo del Dura Challenge
- Alexis Sánchez es condenado por ocultar ingresos en España
- La amenaza de McGregor a Mayweather tras lanzar reto en redes sociales
- La ONU investiga presuntos nuevos ataques químicos en Siria
- Rodríguez: Venezuela está preparada para enfrentar cualquier agresión petrolera
- Player Ratings: Watford 4-1 Chelsea
- México cae ante Cuba en la Serie del Caribe 2018