It was another snag in the return for world No13 Djokovic, who admitted he lacked composure while playing in just his second event of 2018 and first since having surgery.
Federer won the Indian Wells championship for a fifth time last year, adding to his crowns in the Southern California desert in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2012.
In Federer's current form it will take a herculean performance to stop him and it doesn't seem like Krajinovic has that performance in him going into their match.
"I mean, I just completely lost rhythm, everything", he said.
"I was grateful to be out on the court after surgery that quickly but at the same time just didn't feel good at all". "You don't have pain, but you're still thinking about it".
On Saturday, Federer led 6-3, 2-2 when the match was delayed by a heavy drizzle 56 minutes after it began.
"I was not even supposed to be here because of the surgery that was only five, six weeks ago", said Djokovic.
But Djokovic fell at the first hurdle with a shock loss to Japanese qualifier Taro Daniel, who sent the out-of-sorts Serb tumbling with a hard-fought 7-6 (7/3), 4-6, 6-1 victory. The world #1 to win in straight sets. The Swiss, who skipped the clay last year, says he will make a decision whether to play on the slippery surface after Miami, but will likely not play Monte Carlo. Less than 24 hours later, he was back on the court, where he finished off Federico Delbonis 6-3, 7-6 (6).
Marin Cilic, the 2014 U.S. Open champion who lost to Federer in the final of this year's Australian Open, eased to a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Marton Fucsovics.
"He obviously wasn't in his top form", Daniel said. Mid-day accepts no responsibility or liability for its dependability, trustworthiness, reliability and data of the text.
Djokovic, who won the Indian Wells event in 2008, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016, was knocked out early for the second year in a row.
"It's great to be back here as world no.1". It was actually quite interesting. In other men's matches, American Taylor Fritz defeated Fernando Verdasco, of Spain, 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7/1), Croatia's Borna Coric breezed past Roberto Bautista 6-1, 6-3 and Pablo Carreno-Busta, of Spain, stopped Russian Daniil Medvedev 6-1, 7-5.
- Republicanos de Cámara Baja dicen que Trump no se coordinó con Rusia
- Maduro sobre los Clap: Nosotros tenemos que darle potestad directa para mandar
- Tité hace una revolucionaria convocatoria de Brasil, a tres meses del Mundial
- Repsol planea cerrar 2018 con 200 gasolineras en México
- Nuevo Congreso de Colombia es proclive a la paz, dice gobierno
- Cantante estadounidense Beyoncé y rapero Jay-Z anunciaron una nueva gira conjunta
- Creo que Corea del Norte cumplirá su promesa: Trump
- Guillermo del Toro con su Oscar ya tiene piñata
- Juez fija fianza a Esteban Loaiza por 200 mil dólares
- Trump bloquea fusión de Broadcom-Qualcomm